It’s been a long old lockdown but throughout the year my husband and I have been trying to keep our weekends special by having date nights at home.
- Planning: It goes without saying that planning in advance is crucial. Thinking about the tone of the evening and how you want it to look and feel will make it even more special on the night.
- Food: Arranging your food is key as the at-home offering by the best local and national restaurants often book up weeks in advance. We have tried a few local restaurant delivery services and one of our favourites has been Haar at Home. Dean Banks (of Masterchef: The Professionals) and his team prepare the stunning food at Haar at Home in Perth, Scotland and deliver nationwide. Next up on our list will be ordering an award-winning meal from Simon Rogan At Home (one of our favourite chefs!). Simon’s menus use the best seasonal ingredients - all to be enjoyed in the comfort of your home, delivered UK wide on Friday and Saturday…perfect!
- Atmosphere: we’re obviously biased (!) but a beautiful table will elevate your evening and make it feel like a particularly special night in with your loved one. We’ve launched some date night looks (see here) which do all the hard work for you. However, you could also choose some key tableware items such as pretty napkins (linen or cotton please, not paper!) and candles to create a romantic look. Clusters of pillar candles or tealights are perfect, or you could treat yourself to some hand-painted tapered candles (try Copper and Gild for beautiful designs) for an extra special indulgence.
- Flowers: flowers (dried or seasonal) really do make a difference to the overall look of a table (and they can be enjoyed around the home for days after your date night has taken place). We like to use small, local florists (such as 1 Hillside Studios) who can help you select seasonal flowers which can be popped into small bud vases dotted around the table.
- Finally, outfits! I try to make an effort when it comes to date night, even at home. Mixing casual items with something dressier is the look I’ve tended to go for rather than all out sequined glam! Comfort with a stylish twist is ideal.
Although it won’t be long until we’re out and about enjoying the pleasures of bars and restaurants, I get the feeling we may still treasure our nights in at home long after lockdown is officially lifted. Enjoy those precious times and share your date night inspiration with us @truffletablescapes on Instagram.